Erlang Programming Language

Topics: Developer Forum
Feb 23, 2007 at 2:51 PM
This reminds me of the Erlang Programming Language, and its description of how concurrency is handled:

"The processes communicate via a share-nothing asynchronous message-passing system: every process has a "mailbox", a queue of messages sent by other processes, that are not yet consumed. Threads then use the receive primitive to retrieve messages that match desired patterns. A message-handling routine tests messages in turn against each pattern, until one of them matches. When the message is consumed (removed from the mailbox), the thread resumes execution."

So, for example, their "mailbox" is your "port", their "pattern" is your "selector".

Is there any consideration to using Linq for building expressions that determine selector? It seems like you're mostly there already with the delegate method.
Coordinator
Mar 16, 2007 at 4:07 PM
That is interesting. I know nothing of Erlang, but that seems similar idea. Your thoughts on Linq are right on. In many ways this is Linq like. I will explore linq integration how that may fit. If you have ideas, please let me know.